The Astan Quds Razavi Museum is one of the most significant public museums in Iran. It is located in the vicinity of the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza (AS) and Gowharshad Mosque, as two magnificent monuments exemplifying the Islamic art and architecture in the past twelve centuries.
The museum was founded in 1937, and its collection has been growing ever since. It now houses over 300,000 artifacts, including manuscripts, textiles, carpets, jewelry, weapons, and works of art. The museum is divided into three main sections:
- The Markazi Museum (Central Museum): This section houses the most important and valuable artifacts in the collection, including the oldest Quran in the world, dated to the 7th century AD.
- The Malek Abad Museum: This section is dedicated to the history of Mashhad and the surrounding region. It houses artifacts from the pre-Islamic era, as well as from the Islamic period.
- The Ganjineh-ye-Qoran Museum (Quran Treasury): This section houses a collection of over 2,000 Qurans, dating from the 7th century to the present day.
The Astan Quds Razavi Museum is a valuable resource for scholars of Islamic art and history. It is also a popular tourist destination, attracting millions of visitors each year.
Here are some of the most notable artifacts in the Astan Quds Razavi Museum:
- The oldest Quran in the world: This Quran is dated to the 7th century AD and is written in the Kufic script. It is one of the most important artifacts in the museum and is a testament to the early history of Islam.
- The Ferdowsi Quran: This Quran is named after the Persian poet Ferdowsi, who is considered the father of Persian literature. It is decorated with illustrations of scenes from Ferdowsi’s epic poem, the Shahnameh.
- The Timurid Quran: This Quran is dated to the 14th century and is decorated with beautiful calligraphy and illustrations. It is one of the most prized possessions of the museum.
- The Safavid Quran: This Quran is dated to the 16th century and is decorated with gold and silver leaf. It is a fine example of Safavid craftsmanship.
- The Qajar Quran: This Quran is dated to the 18th century and is decorated with intricate floral designs. It is a beautiful example of Qajar art.
The Astan Quds Razavi Museum is a treasure trove of Islamic art and history. It is a must-visit for anyone interested in these subjects.
In addition to its collection of artifacts, the Astan Quds Razavi Museum also has a number of educational facilities, including a library, a research center, and a museum school. The museum also organizes a variety of cultural events, such as lectures, workshops, and exhibitions.
The Astan Quds Razavi Museum is a valuable resource for the people of Iran and the world. It is a place where people can learn about the rich history and culture of Islam. It is also a place where people can come to appreciate the beauty of Islamic art.