Understanding Alcohol’s Impact on Your Body + video

The holiday season brings joy and festivities, but all those Christmas work drinks and social gatherings can take a toll on your body. Whether it’s a glass of wine at home or a pint at the bar, understanding the effects of alcohol on your body is essential. The NHS advises that the safe weekly alcohol limit is 14 units, and it’s also recommended to have alcohol-free days to allow your organs to recover. In this article, we delve into what happens to your body after just one glass of wine, exploring the process of metabolization, the diuretic effects, brain changes, and how it affects your sleep.


Alcohol, health and well-being :


How Alcohol Changes Your Body :

1. The Nature of Alcohol:
Alcohol is a product of fermentation, formed when yeast breaks down sugars in fruit, grains, or other sources. The main component responsible for intoxication is ethanol, which affects your body in various ways, including causing liver damage and increasing cancer risks.

2. The Journey of a Single Unit of Alcohol:
As you take that first sip of your drink, the ethanol travels down your throat and into your stomach. Around 20% is absorbed there, while the remaining 80% moves to the small intestine for absorption. The liver recognizes the presence of alcohol and begins the process of metabolizing it to make it harmless and eventually remove it from your system.


Understanding Alcohol's Impact on Your Body + video


3. Toilet Troubles and the Diuretic Effect:
Alcohol has a diuretic effect, which means it encourages the kidneys to release more water. Additionally, it inhibits a hormone called vasopressin, responsible for water retention. These combined effects lead to increased toilet usage and can result in dehydration.

4. Brain Changes and Sluggishness:
Alcohol affects neurotransmitters in the brain, reducing inhibitions and clear thinking. It also affects the cerebellum, responsible for balance and movement, and the medulla, which regulates breathing and temperature. The suppression of glutamate leads to feelings of sluggishness, while alcohol’s influence on dopamine provides a sense of pleasure.

5. Restless Sleep Even with a Single Drink:
Alcohol disrupts the body’s ability to enter restorative sleep. When you consume alcohol, the body prioritizes detoxification over other processes necessary for quality sleep. Even one unit of alcohol at bedtime can delay the onset of restorative sleep by about an hour, impacting your overall recovery during the night.

6. The Body’s Detoxification Process:
The liver eventually breaks down alcohol into carbon dioxide and water, which are eliminated through breathing, sweating, and urination. The general rule is that it takes about an hour for the liver to process one unit of alcohol. However, individual factors like age, race, and body size can influence this process, so it’s crucial not to rely on time-based estimates.

While enjoying a single drink may not cause severe harm, it’s essential to understand how alcohol affects your body. Moderation and responsible drinking are key to avoiding potential health risks associated with excessive alcohol consumption. Always prioritize your well-being and consider alcohol-free days to allow your organs to recover fully.